May 4, 2014

Procrastination is Good

I'm procrastinating. I convince myself that I haven't blogged for a while and I must immediately do so. I  remember not thinking about my blog for weeks at a go. But when loaded with presentations, projects and the headache of packing, my blog seems more important than ever.

I think of the books I need to read, and the Japanese language classes I need to take in preparation of my study abroad in Tokyo. I know that in 24 hours, when I'm officially done with the projects and presentations, I will forget the books and classes, because I'll be walking around the dorms looking for friends to talk to. I know that the Big Bang Theory and Mindy Project will take precedence over everything else, even if I have to start repeating old episodes at one point. All the education talks and courses that I've listed down for the three weeks at home will be conveniently forgotten when I reach home, and I will instead stalk all my facebook friends to see what they've been upto all year.

The long hours in front of the screen will give me a headache. The sitting will deprive me of my appetite. The laziness will make me drowsy. The lost hours will make me guilty.

That sounds pretty bad right? Well, it isn't. When you fight against procrastination and win, you sometimes wish you could go back to procrastinating once in a while, to letting your mind wander and not doing anything particularly productive. But your brain is fine tuned to always do something that stimulates it, and something that makes your conscience feel good about time well spent. There's always something better and more productive to do, but at one point, you have to stop and let your brain do nothing for once.

Just another 24 hours before I can close those nudging powerpoint and word documents on my computer and procrastinate other less important things. But right now, I have to go. The powerpoint is calling me.

No comments: