Feb 29, 2020

The styles and ways of yoga teachers across cultures

Having taken yoga classes in 4 different countries (US, Israel, India and Singapore), and gone through atleast 20 diffferent yoga studies and been in classes of 50 different teachers, I've seen a wide variety of yoga teachers. It is interesting to see how the styles of teachers vary so much with their personalities and cultures, even though they usually go through similar kinds of training.

The most surprising difference to me is how much the mood of the class can vary. Some teachers are more spiritual, and try to make their class more mindful, present and calming than others. These are teachers who usually get into yoga straight without having a background of fitness or sports. Personally, I really like the classes of these types of teachers because time flies by when you're in their classes, and you walk out feeling much more peaceful than before. I noticed these types of classes most often when I was interning in San Francisco for a few months in 2017.

In Israel, yoga teachers were very good at getting you to engage your muscles in class. The Israeli classes I attended were spiritual too, but given how strong most Israelis are compared to the rest of the general population thanks to their army background, their classes were much harder physically, and their instructions provided students an excellent way to start engaging the muscles in your body. I would feel my legs shaking after these classes and would generally need to eat before and after the class. After going to a few of these types of classes, I found I had lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle. There were also noticeable differences in everyday movement such as sitting and standing - my body felt lighter and everyday movements were easier. I miss these kind of classes and wish I could find more of these.

The kinds in India were surprisingly unique - as the place of origin of yoga, the poses and styles are much more traditional in classes in India. Often, the classes don't involve as much flow, and they go at a slower pace. There's a lot more focus on breathing exercises than in classes I've seen in other parts of the world. Personally, I found these classes to be easier physically, but that's just from my limited experience of yoga classes in India. I also found a uniqueness in the style of instruction - teachers often tell you how a pose benefits your body while you're in it. It isn't uncommon to hear "this is good for your lungs, heart and thyroid glands" type of comment when you're in a pose. I personally like teachers mentioning why we are doing a certain pose because it gives the class a better sense of purpose.

In Singapore, I see a lot of emphasis on vinyasa classes which involve flowing from one pose to the next. In other countries I've attended classes in, vinyasa is just of the styles of yoga. But here, it feels like it's one of the main and most popular styles. I like it because it makes my body feel stronger and more mobile, but having said that I miss the diversity of classes. A lot of the yoga instructors in Singapore are also into other forms of fitness, which is why it is not uncommon to end up in a yoga class that feels more regimental. Sometimes, instructors will count the number of seconds you're to remain in a pose, which is a very different style. I personally don't like it when instructors count the seconds in a pose, because it makes it harder for me to focus on my breathing during the class and makes it feel like we are waiting for the torture to end. Most instructors in Singapore are not the spiritual kind, but I have come across a select few who encourage mindfulness from the beginning of the class and talk through savasana in the end.

Lastly, I have noticed two other major differences that don't seem to be country specific. One of them is sense of humor - some yoga teachers like to make their class funny and see their students smile, so they often crack jokes and tell stories as the class goes on. I like those teachers because their classes are pure fun! The second difference is background music - some classes are silent ones with no music in the background, while others have soft music playing. I like the classes with the soft music. Somehow, those that are quiet feel a bit unnatural and awkward, maybe because I am not so used to complete silence.

With my yoga teacher training coming up in April, I am excited to see how yoga teachers develop their unique styles and ways!

No comments: